Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Easiest Valentine's Ornament Wreath

For such a long time, I have loved wreaths made from ornaments, especially vintage ornaments. There's something about the charm of those old glass ornaments that takes me down memory lane...to a time when Christmas was magical and my great-grandparents' tree was dripping with those vintage baubles.

Well, I've finally gotten around to making an ornament wreath of my own. Christmas has come and gone now, but I gathered a bunch of red, gold, pink and champagne ornaments to create a Valentine's Day wreath. (Mine includes about half vintage and half new ornaments.)


I did some sleuthing on Pinterest to figure out the best way to assemble it. There are tutorials that use a wire coat hanger to string the ornaments on; there are some that use a painted styrofoam wreath form and hot glue; and there are some that have you wire the ornaments onto a wreath form.

After a bit of trial and error, I discovered a super easy technique, and the key is to use one of those pre-formed, metallic curly cellophane wreaths to attach the ornaments to. The curly cellophane gives a nice base for nestling the ornaments into and for the glue to adhere to. Also, since there are bound to be small spaces between ornaments, you already have a decorative background and don't have to fret about filling holes.


If you decide to try your hand at this project, here are a couple of tips I can offer. Glue the tops to the ornaments before attaching to the wreath (so they don't pop off.) And make a row along both the outer and inner edges first, then fill in the rest, "building" the areas with varied colors and sizes of ornaments.


This particular wreath is approximately 20" x 20" and took about 75 ornaments to complete. It really didn't take all that long to create once I had all of my supplies at hand. There are so many combinations that could be used for this project: all one color, smaller ornaments in a uniform size, adding ornaments in different shapes...you get the idea :)


I am displaying my wreath on this Ballard Designs arrow that hangs in our entry hall. You know..."arrow through the heart" and all that jazz, haha! Actually, it just seemed like a great spot to add a little seasonal color, and I wanted to hang it somewhere other than on a door or window. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.


Happy Crafting,
Julie


Sharing with: Share Your Cup Thursday, A Delightsome Life, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, Creative Country Mom, Between Naps on the Porch, Dwellings the Heart of Your Home, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, The Scoop, Domestically Speaking, The Dedicated House, Lamberts Lately

No comments:

Post a Comment